Glaziers Hall is located on the south side of London Bridge in the former Hibernia Wharf building alongside London Bridge facing the Thames and has spectacular views over the River Thames towards the City of London and Fishmongers Hall. It is a very significant point of historical focus in the approach into Southwark over London Bridge. Its location is ideal as a conference venue in London.
The Glaziers Hall street entrance is accessed from Montague Close and is in the Borough High street Conservation area. Originally part of Eagle wharf, then Hibernia wharf, Montague Close.
There was a major fire at Hibernia Wharf in 1851 which destroyed the majority of the buildings. The building as we see now was rebuilt by the notable Victorian builders William Cubitt with two storeys of commercial chambers accessed from London Bridge level.
In 1866 the Home and Foreign Produce Exchange opened in the upper part, Hibernia Chambers, dealing mainly in dairy products which were stored in the basement accessed from Montague Close and the river. A cold storage system was installed around the turn of the century, for the warehouse which was used for storing cheese and butter from Ireland. Hibernia is the Latin for Ireland.
The 1830 London Bridge by Sir John Rennie was replaced in 1967-72, it’s Victorian character remains in a single granite arch of the old London Bridge, which allows access between Montague Close and London Bridge Walk. By 1960 the Port of London was at the height of its trade, however the advent of containers spelled the death knell for the older Port of London wharves of this type and for protection the building was Listed grade II in 1970.
Today, Glaziers Hall remains the home to three prestigious livery companies; The Worshipful Company of Glaziers and Painters of Glass, The Worshipful Company of Scientific Instrument Makers and The Worshipful Company of Launderers.